Quarteira is now well known for its magnificent beach, the best quality fish sold at restaurants along the beach front and sourced from the nearby fish market. The daily catches are sold at the fish market early in the morning and will end up on your plate for lunch or dinner the same day!
Quarteira beach front and promenade is very popular with locals and tourists alike many of whom return year after year in the Algarve. The beach beach extends from Vale de Lobo along the Quarteira town section of the beach to the fish market covering a distance of some two kilometres.
You can enjoy a stroll, walk or cycle trip and it is ideal for handicapped persons being wheelchair friendly which makes the beach easily accessible to everyone. - There is now a boardwalk constructed to continue on towards Vale do Lobo beaches whilst overlooking the sea.
Quarteira offers fantastic tourist and great beach facilities, excellent seafood restaurants with hotels only metres away from the beach.
Quarteira is always bustling in the summer months with lovely restaurants, coffee shops, bars to suit all tastes, and has cheerful places where families are welcomed which offer great value for money, but it is also a lovely place to wander around in the autumn and winter when the crowds have disappeared and normality returns!
Quarteira Golf - Vila Sol
In the Surrounding area of Quarteira lies Vilamoura to the west, and Vale do Lobo to the east which has some of the finest Golf Courses in Europe. Just a couple of kilometres inland – almond trees, fig trees, pines and orange-trees sprinkle the landscape of green where Vila Sol Golf Course is situated!
Vilamoura boasts five super golf courses, namely Vilamoura Old Course, Vilamoura Millenium, Vilamoura Laguna, Vilamoura Victoria and Vilamoura Pinhal and Vale do Lobo area has two fabulous courses namely Vale do Lobo Royal Course and Vale do Lobo Ocean and a tad further on, three Quinta Courses, San Lorenzo and Pinerous Altos.This makes Quarteira an ideal location for a base to be at the heart of Golfing paradise!
There is lots going on in the winter months and in February the big attraction is Carnival time, with the fun parades along the beachfront of Quarteira. These are family party days where everyone gets involved on the promenade with music, dancing and themed 'floats' of various types vehicles dressed up for this superb event to have a great time. The parade normally gets moving just after lunch and carries on until late evening, an event not to be missed.
Quarteira: Annual Events
- Carnival: February
- Day of the City: May
- Fisherman’s Festival: Weekend closest to 31st May
- Marchas dos Santos Populares (Popular Saints Festivities): June/July
- Sardine Festival: 1st fortnight of August
- Fair of Books and Handicraft: August:
- Festival in honour of Our Lady of Conception: December. The town’s most important religious festival celebrating the Patron Saint of the fishermen. The main celebrations start at dawn and by 14.30 the procession continues along the coastal avenue of Quarteira to the Porto de Abrigos. The highlight is the boat trip of the Patron Saint, accompanied by the fishermen in their boats. Entertainment and merry making complete the festivities.
- New Year’s Eve: Live music on the sea front to rock the revellers, followed by fireworks at midnight